Who is involved
The parties involved in the Project (EDINA, MIMAS, NLN
Materials Team, JISC RSCs, GL) had various roles as outlined below.
- Managed the NLN Learning Materials Delivery Project
within the financial constraints of the project funding.
- Led on the user support side of the project.
- Facilitated communication between members of the project
- Ensured that an effective pilot service was delivered
to the post-16 community.
- Drew up user support model agreed by all parties.
- Worked with RSCs to implement user support model.
- Hosted a back-up for the CAT and the learning materials.
- Provided helpdesk 1 support to RSCs.
- Provided training and liaison support to RSCs.
- Provided online documentation for RSCs and colleges.
- Provided online web forms for use by RSCs and colleges.
- Provided content to the NLN Materials Team for website
providing information for RSCs [from April 2003].
- Led on the technical implementation side of the project.
- Installed the CAT system and the learning materials
- Provided lead site implementation of pilot service
to the community.
- Migrated Phase 1 materials to the live CAT.
- Tested Phase 2 materials in the CAT before the NLN
Materials Team signed them off.
- Uploaded Phase 2 materials to the live CAT.
- Worked with GL and NLN Materials Team to resolve issues
that arose with the use of the CAT.
- Provided helpdesk 2 support.
- Granted download privileges to nominated college staff,
RSCs and others nominated by NLN Materials Team.
- Resolved technical queries sent by helpdesk 1 at EDINA.
- Commissioned GL to undertake required development work on the CAT.
- Provided MIMAS with quality assured Phase 1 materials.
- Provided MIMAS with quality assured Phase 2 materials, and signed
them off only after MIMAS had tested them in the CAT.
- Responded to helpdesk 1 content-related queries sent from EDINA.
- Liaised with content suppliers.
- Provided content-related training for RSCs and colleges.
- Worked to promote the NLN materials to colleges.
RSCs (Regional Support Centres)
- Contacted colleges in their regions to encourage
and support the download of the NLN materials.
- Assisted college staff to identify the learning materials
of relevance to their individual colleges.
- Encouraged the establishment of in-house support teams
- Answered queries from the in-house team at their colleges
and solved queries where possible.
- Forwarded unresolved queries to helpdesk 1 at EDINA.
- Forwarded responses to queries coming from helpdesk
1 to college staff.
- Forwarded names of nominated representatives, plus
those who need download privileges in the RSC, to helpdesk 1.
- Kept colleges informed of NLN developments.
- Sent feedback to EDINA on queries received and NLN-related
developments in colleges.
- Updated and developed the CAT software on request
from NLN Materials Team.
- Liaised with the MIMAS team to solve any technical